Signs That Your Older Home Requires Electrical Upgrades

home circuit breaker

It's always important to have a safe and secure electrical system in your home, otherwise you are putting yourself at risk. Old electrical wiring and fixtures can cause devastating fires and waste energy, which raises your power bill. Knowing the signs of when an electrical system is losing its efficiency is the best way to keep safe. Typically, any home that is 40 years or older will need updating, but also keep an eye out for the following problems.

Breakers Constantly Pops and Make Sounds

Having a circuit breaker trip occasionally isn't a big deal, but when it happens on a regular basis, it could signify a short in the wiring. This can also mean that your breaker isn't advanced enough to handle the powerful electrical draw of modern appliances and that you are exceeding its safety limit.

Additionally, if you hear a popping, buzzing, or cracking anywhere near the breaker or other electrical appliances, it could signify a loose connection. This may be the sound of wires sparking and should be checked out by an electrician right away.

Aluminum Wiring Is Visible

For houses constructed in the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum wiring was all the rage. Unfortunately, it is not the safest type of wire and can act as a major fire hazard. This is because the aluminum contracts and expands during seasonal temperature changes. As it changes size, this can create a loose connection and increase the chance of fire. Aluminum can also oxidize and overheat, can be easily damaged by nicks or cuts, and is prone to vibrating and coming loose. You might notice lights flickering or dimming for no real reason.

It's easy to fix this by having an electrician install more traditional wiring or having all the connections pigtailed with copper.

Plugs That Only Accommodate Two Prongs

Nowadays, every outlet includes three prongs. However, in older homes, there are some outlets that only accommodate two prongs. This is more than just an inconvenience - it also signifies that the outlet is not polarized or grounded. Being grounded is what prevents you from getting shocked whenever you plug in an electronic device. While having a two-pronged outlet might not burn down your home, it can be a serious hazard to the health of you and your family.

Additionally, if an outlet is uncharacteristically warm, smoking, sparking, or smells of burning plastic, you should contact the experts at David Gray Electrical Services right away as this is a sure sign of bad and outdated wiring.

Get Help from a Certified Electrician

If you've identified any of these risks in your home, it's not safe to try and repair them yourself. Only a certified electrician can safely upgrade your electrical system and make sure it is done right. For a consultation on what needs to be done in your home, contact us today. Our electricians will provide you with the knowledge and services you need to make your home safe again.

Call Today For A Free Estimate

(904) 724-7211

Get Directions

Special Offers

Coupons

Save on repairs and service.